stone was originally purchased by the City of London, for £10,000, and
presented to Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, immediately on his
return from Culloden in 1746.
preceding year had been characterised by serious disaffection towards
the throne and ministry. Anson had arrived from his circumnavigation of
the globe. The broad-bottomed Ministry consisted of the Pelhams, aided
by Lords Harrington, Gower, and Lyttelton. Lord Orford had come up from
Houghton to advise the king, returned to Norfolk, and died. This year
was one of danger to England. A Ministry distracted by internal
jealousies and dissensions ; the old Tories raising up the smouldering
spirit of Jacobitism ; France, Spain, and Italy, in its family compact,
joined by Holland ; Scotland in open rebellion ; Prince Charles Edward
landing; the clans in arms; Sir John Cope vanquished and routed, and "
Preston Pans" rousing the enthusiasm of English chivalry to its zenith;
the times were exciting in the extreme. At this juncture, the Duke of