in height, with ample verandas and balconies; all the rooms are large,
lofty, and handsomely furnished, and in the construction the best
sanitary knowledge has been applied. The building is lighted throughout
by electricity, and abundantly supplied with pure water.
The Masonic Temple was erected in 1889 by the combined lodges of the city. Its main hall is spacious and admirably
by electricity, and the interior throughout is very handsomely
decorated and furnished. At the top of the staircase there is one of
the finest stained glass windows in South Africa, which was presented
to the lodges by Mr. Rhodes.
post-office, police barracks, and railway station have no special
pretension to architectural beauty, but they are serviceable structures
for the uses to which they are applied. The offices of the De Beers
Company are in the centre of the business section of the town, and
are, as might be expected, excellently designed buildings, and stand
out notably among the business edifices that surround them.
The South African School of Mines was established at Kim-berley in 1896. The first two years' studies are taken at the