10 tons of scrap mica was sold. The remainder of the material quarried
was still in the mine buildings at the time of the writer's visit. The
equipment includes a steam drill and boiler and a shed where the
trimming was done.
rocks of Georgetown are mostly sedimentary schists and intruded masses
of pegmatite, normal granite, and flow gneiss. The only pegmatite
deposit now worked is on the east side of Kennebec River, near its
mouth, where feldspar is quarried by Golding's Sons Company, of
Trenton, N. J.
relations between the pegmatite and schists on Bay Point Peninsula (see
below) are repeated in good exposures at the four corners west of
Georgetown Center. Here a mass of pegmatite 10 feet in maximum width
intrudes the schists irregularly, sending off into them an apophysis 1
foot in width at its base, but tapering out within 6 feet. This branch
shows the same irregular pegmatitic texture as the larger dike but
becomes finer grained as it tapers. The bordering schist contains
numerous quartz stringers, some of which are distinctly traceable into
the pegmatite and near the latter carry a few mica plates.
the hill east of the gurnet at Georgetown Center a number of prospect
pits for feldspar were opened by J. S. Berry. Black tourmaline and
biotito are so abundant in most of the pegmatite as to render it
useless for pottery purposes.
the shore, about one-half mile south of Hinckleys Landing, a pegmatite
mass in the schist gives off a branch dike 3 to G inches wide, which
very near where it leaves the parent mass becomes fine grained and
typically granitic in texture.
Golding's feldspar quarry.—One
of the most productive feldspar quarries in Maine, and one that has
been worked intermittently for over thirty years, is located near the
east shore of Todds Bay near the mouth of Kennebec River and is now
owned and operated by Golding's Sons Company, of Trenton, N. J. It may
be reached by a drive of 11 miles from Woolwich or by steamer from Bath
to Bay Point Landing, which is only about 1-1/2 miles from the quarry.
The Bath quadrangle of the United States Geological Survey includes
this area. The property was visited by the writer in July, 1906, and
again in November, 1908.
excavations cover an area of about 3 acres and consist of three open
pits. The southernmost pit, which is the oldest and largest, had been
abandoned for many years at the time of the writer's visit