For 125 years Bulgari has been setting the pace for Italian style in jewelry and luxury fashion goods. Sotirio Bulgari opened his first store in Rome in the via Sistina in 1884. In 1905 he inaugurated his flagship store in the Via Condotti.
Bulgari design is distinctive, instantly recognizable, bold, almost brutal combining large and weighty gold links with black-surfaced steel and has unprecedented color combinations. It is also often inspired by Greek and Roman arts. In the 40's and 50's, Bulgari was heavily influenced by French jewelry design.