Prof. Dr. Susan Ward Aber
- Information needs and information-seeking practices of university geoscience educators related to teaching introductory geoscience courses.
- Kite/Blimp aerial photography.
- Physical properties and weathering characteristics of building stone.
Degrees and Professional Certifications:
- University of Kansas, Lawrence: B.S. in Geology, 1977; graduate study, 1977-78.
- Gemological Institute of America, California: Diamond Certificate, 1981; Colored Stones Certificate, 1986; Gemologist, 1987; Gold and Precious Metals Certificate, 1994.
- Emporia State University, Kansas: Ph.D. in Library and Information Management, 2005. Dissertation: Information needs and information-seeking behaviors of geoscience educators: A grounded theory study.
Honors and International Experiences
- 2005 Association of College & Research Libraries Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- Amber Webpages Review in Science magazine. Leslie, M., 2005. NetWatch: Trapped forever. Science, 309, p. 857.
- NSF/AAAS 2005 Visualization Challenge: co-winner in the photography category--see certificate and www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/309/5643/1991b, Science, 23 September 2005, 309(5743), p. 1991.
- Lived 5 to 8 months: Denmark (1979), Canada (1984), Norway (1987), Poland (1993), and Estonia (2000).
- Attended and/or presented at conferences and travel: Ireland (1991), England (1991, 1994), Russia (1982), Spain (1998), Sweden (1982, 1987, 1993), Slovakia (1997), Lithuania (2001), Germany (2004), Denmark (1979, 1982, 2004), Canada (1984, 1985), Norway (1982, 1987, 1990), Poland (1993, 1997, 2001) and Estonia (2000, 2001).
- Languages: basic knowledge in Danish, Norwegian, Polish.
Read complete story
List of publications
View complete list
- Aber, S. W. and D. A. Grisafe, 1982. Petrographic characteristics of Kansas building limestones. Kansas Geological Survey, Bulletin 224.
- Johnston, P. and Aber, S. W., et al. 1990-2000. Introduction to earth science lab (1st-5th). Edina, MN: Burgess International Group, Inc., p. 142.
- Aber, S. W., 1997. Minerals to gems: From practical to sparkling. Kansas Science Teacher 12, p. 3-32.
- Aber, S. W. and Kosmowska-Ceranowicz, B., 2001. Bursztyn i inne zywice kopalne swiata. Kredowe zywice kopalne ameryki Pólnocnej: cedaryt (czemawinit), jelite. [Amber and other copal resins of the world. Cretaceous copal resins from North America: Cedarite (chemawinite), jelinite.] Polski Jubiler 2(13), p. 22-24. www.geo.uw.edu.pl/JEWELLER/13PJ/11burszt.pdf
- Aber, J. S., Aber, S. W., and Leffler, B., 2001. Challenge of infrared kite aerial photography. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science 104(1-2), p. 18-27. www.emporia.edu/kas/trans104/aber1/aber1.htm
- Aber, J. S. and Aber, S. W., 2001. Limestone xenoliths in Hills Pond Lamproite, Woodson County, Kansas. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science 104(1-2), p. 123-128. www.emporia.edu/kas/trans104/aber2
Publicity and press
Emporia, Earth Science Department, 66801
Prof. Dr. Susan Ward Aber
+1 620 341 5977